Wednesday, March 30, 2011

She Speaks His Story

I was going to enter anyway, but very timidly and full of excuses:

I don’t blog enough to make this entry worthwhile.

I let myself get distracted by life and therefore am unworthy to pursue this whatever-it-is God placed in my heart.

I don’t even have enough time to carefully craft a wonderful, beautiful, perfect entry.

But it isn’t about perfect, and it is worthwhile, and why would I not be worthy to pursue my God-given dreams, since He gave them to  me, even if I can’t quite articulate them at the moment?


Attending She Speaks has been a dream of mine for a few years, but it has always taken a back seat to things like buying a house or getting a new water heater or replacing the fence in the backyard. I told my husband I wanted to start a special savings account so I could attend someday, and he was fully supportive. In fact, he shared his own dream that he wanted to save for: buying a dirt bike.

Sadly for my husband, I have not seen any scholarship offers for dirt bikes, but Ann is generously offering a scholarship for my dream.

I don’t know that I can articulate my heart very well right now. I’m all a-jumble with new perspectives and changing attitudes. In the midst of it all, God pulled that dream He gave me out of my back pocket, where I had stuffed it somewhere beneath “re-write our grant deed” and “tackle the scary-cluttered guest room.” He smoothed it out and said, “Remember this?” Oh. Yeah. That.

That thing I don’t know what to do with? (With what to do? I don’t know how to end that sentence without a preposition. My inner grammar geek is cringing.)

What I do know is this:

I have a story, and He wants me to tell it. I have found freedom in telling my story to those I know, recounting the past and sharing the present.

I know all women have stories. I want to encourage them to speak, to tell their stories, to maybe find a bit of that freedom of their own.

I have no idea how to do that. I can’t say, “Here is my step-by-step plan.” All I can say is, here are the humble beginnings of a dream God has given me. I can tell you that I am learning how to surrender and trust Him, to stop fighting Him, and to quiet myself so I can hear His whispered guidance and step out in faith.

I’m taking this small step because I want to see what the next part of His story in my life looks like.


The She Speaks conference is about women connecting women to the heart of our Father God. My heart’s desire is to serve Him and His daughters, as He leads me. Do you have this same desire? Visit Ann and read about this scholarship opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. Your post is much like mine- having no idea what this dream will look like but not wanting to ignore God's prompting either. Nice to know we aren't alone in this journey!

    ReplyDelete