Friday, July 9, 2010

My Shadows

My Shadows
Inspired by and with apologies to Robert Louis Stevenson

I have three little shadows that go in and out with me,
And some days their tiny bodies are all that I can see.
One is very, very curly from his tail up to his head,
And he loves to curl up with me when I slide into my bed.

Another is a kitten; he still has room to grow,
Unlike his older sister who growls at him for show.
The younger taunts the elder; the elder taunts him back,
Then retreats into a corner to plot her next attack.

My shadows prance about me all times of night and day;
The closer they are to me, the more that we can play.
They love to show affection, with a head bump or a kiss.
I love to snuggle with them; ‘tis complete and utter bliss.

Some mornings, very early, before the sun will rise,
I wake to find them all around me, much to my surprise.
I gaze at my sweet shadows but do not dare to make a peep,
Not wishing to disturb them, I drift back gently into sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment